The question type "text with special characters" is mainly intended for
those subjects where it is required that the students use special characters to,
for example, be able to write chemical formulas that require subscripts and
If you want your students to write an essay, it is best to use the writing surface
and not this question type.
1. Create your task as usual and go to modules.
2. Go to modules and add forms. You can edit the heading on the left and name
your task there.
3. Scroll down to the question type: text with special characters and add it.
4. When the student clicks on A with three dots, the option to be able to write
subscript and superscript numbers and, for example, change the font and size, are
5. When the student is to write a chemical formula, the student needs to write:
the letter of the formula, click on the X for superscript or subscript so that the
X turns blue. Type the number and click X again so the blue color disappears.
Every time you want to write a superscript or subscript number, the X needs to
be activated and blue.
6. Please go through this with your students and show them how to do it.
There's nothing they can do if you don't show!